pro·cras·ti·nate (pr-krst-nt, pr-)
v. pro·cras·ti·nat·ed, pro·cras·ti·nat·ing, pro·cras·ti·nates
v.intr.
To put off doing something, especially out of habitual carelessness or laziness.
v.tr.
To postpone or delay needlessly.

When it comes to the craft this is the toughest beast to overcome. To me this word lurks on the inside of every failure and behind every writers block. It disguises itself as things as important as research and as menial as doing laundry. This word is a career killer. I have wasted plenty of my own hours researching(procrastinating) the best ways to overcome procrastination. I have devised(procrastinated) lists and schedules for writing my books. I have tried everything to overcome this and hold myself accountable. But in the end for the only way to truly slay the demon of inaction is with action. Just like realizing that the only way to beat writers block is to write.

No comments: